Want to get a puppy for your home? Congratulations on taking the first step! A dog is a long-term commitment, and if you have already made up your mind, it is wise to consider a few essentials. Firstly, you need to get the puppy from a reliable kennel/breeder. With an online check, you can find many puppies for sale West Palm Beach. Consider the breeds and size of the dog before taking the final decision. The real journey and struggle starts after you bring it home. Dog training is an amazing experience for owners and pooches alike, and it is important to take things seriously. We have listed down nine tips that may come handy for better training.
- Start with the basics. Every dog owner wants a well-trained pooch, but you cannot teach everything at once. It is advisable to start with basic commands like ‘sit’, ‘no’, ‘go’, and ‘fetch’, which are easy to understand.
- Toilet-training is important. You cannot ignore this aspect at all. The earlier you start with the puppy, the sooner he will learn. There are plenty of online tutorials that can help in getting started.
- Be patient. Puppies are full of energy and curiosity, and some breeds often have a mind of their own. A few hiccups in the initial stages are pretty normal but don’t give up. Patience is the key to excellent training.
- Be consistent. There are days when your pup will refuse to obey commands or may not listen to you at all. Don’t get frustrated or leave the training midway. Always spend an hour in training, no matter the outcome.
- Be in charge. Dogs like to listen to people who talk like a pack-leader. Be confident in your approach and don’t be scared to shout or making a strong command. Your dogs need to know you are the person in control.
- Take help. If you are unsure of how to start training, it is best to call a professional trainer. Trainers know the tricks, and ways need for a particular breed and can reduce the training time. Nevertheless, you will still need to spend some time for in-house training.
- Confinement can work. While you are housetraining the puppy, you have to confine him in a certain area. This can be a small kennel or a simple dog house – whatever works for the size of the puppy. You can also get customized barriers for doors and staircases.
- Network in your area. Other pet owners can offer a lot of information on how to train your puppy. Take your dog to the park or anywhere where you can meet and network with others.
- Teach social skills. Your dog must be fond of people and animals alike. Many owners often focus on training social skills with people, forgetting the need for animal bonding. Always teach your pet to like other animals and dogs. If the pup refuses to meet other dogs, take your time, but don’t give up.
Start the training journey with your pet today!
Author Bio – Luke Durante is known for his experience in dog training. He is also a dog behavior expert and often writes on the topic for various blogs and websites.